The Japan Foreign Trade Council (JFTC) Essay Competition is for international students, regardless of their nationality or age. All rights to the award-winning essays shall be the exclusive property of JFTC, with possibilities of reprinting the essay on its monthly magazine, JFTC website, or other general magazines. JFTC has been sponsoring the JFTC Essay competition since 2005, to encourage students, young researchers and business people to express their opinions on matters of national and international importance.
The competition usually opens for entries in June.
About the Council
The JFTC was founded in June 1947 as a core private-sector organization in the area of international trade with a nationwide membership of private companies and organizations.
JFTC is involved in a wide range of activities with the objective of contributing to the prosperity of Japanese economy and the enhancement of international society through trade.
1. One Grand Prize of 1,000,000yen($9140)
2. Three Prizes for Excellence of 200,000yen($1800) each
3. The award winners from abroad will be provided with a round-trip air ticket to Tokyo, Japan to attend the award ceremony which usually comes up in January annually.
1. Competition is open to anyone worldwide, regardless of nationality or age.
2. Essays must either in English or Japanese.
The entry for the 2017 edition had closed. However, the 2018 edition will open soon, usually in June, less than a month away. You can check back for an update.
All essays must be type-written on the Specified Essay Format which can be downloaded from the Entry Page.
It is important to read the FAQ page and also visit the official webpage for complete information on the essay topic, and how to apply to this essay competition.