We’re experts in media, mobile, brand and international development. Founded by the Nike Foundation in 2004, today we’re an independent creative non-profit working from nine global locations and active in 66 countries.
Through our work, a girl can start to express herself, value herself, and build the relationships she needs. In tangible, measurable ways. When she has the widespread belief and support of others, and when there are millions of girls like her, these changes become a new normal. Where she can seek out the things she needs – from vaccination to education to economic opportunity.
Girl Effect Nigeria (GEN) is our Innovation Hub, leveraging Nigeria’s strengths in digital, media and technology to pioneer products that help understand girls more deeply and reach them more effectively. We currently have three products in Nigeria and a strong ambition to build on this base and reach more girls and change the harmful social norms that hold them back
Suitably qualified candidates are invited to apply for the position below:
Qualifications and Competencies
1. You will have in depth demonstrable experience working on Gender and Development projects with specific knowledge of girl-centred programming and gender norm change theory and practice.
2. You possess a deep understanding of national and international best practice on working with adolescent girls.
3. You can demonstrable experience of working with girls and young women on the design, implementation and monitoring of programmes focusing on girls’ and women’s rights and gender equality, digital programming experience is desirable.
4. You will have knowledge of the partner and policy landscape as they relate to adolescent girls and gender norm change.
5. You’ll have excellent project management and planning skills with demonstrable experience in managing budgets and timeframes.
6. Your report writing, presentation and communication skills and fluency in written and spoken English will be of a high standard – the ability to speak Hausa is desirable.
7. You have a high attention to detail and ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
8. You’re a team player with strong interpersonal skills and experience of and comfort with working in a multi-cultural team.
9. You’ll have a strong commitment to diversity and non-discrimination on grounds of culture, nationality, sex, disability, religion, race and age.
10. You are adaptable – able to work in complex, unfamiliar and changing environments
11. You’re proactive with a solution-focused mindset.
1. Lead the overall implementation of the gender strategy in Nigeria ensuring Girl Effect’s highest possible impact in changing discriminatory social norms and empowering adolescent girls in Nigeria.
2. Provide gender technical expertise to the development, delivery and assessment of the GEN country strategy and processes, bringing the voice of the girl and her needs into all strategy and product development.
3. Contribute to increasing GE gender technical thought leadership by developing Nigeria specific research, supporting the global team on developing theoretic frameworks and other thought pieces to contribute to GE’s body of knowledge.
4. Provide gender technical input to core GEN products, including TEGA, Girls Connect and Springster.
5. Enable GEN team to ‘walk the talk’ by spearheading an internal learning agenda on gender-related issues and GE’s work for staff through formal training, films, huddles, talks, cross-country learning, etc.
6. Overall management of the Gender team, including effective line management and development of work plans that are aligned to country and global priorities.
7. Represent GEN in external gender technical meetings to remain up-to-date on the current thinking and trends in the sector, feed learning back into organisational work and to showcase GE’s approach
8. Provide gender technical expertise into safeguarding policies and procedures to ensure all children and young people’s well-being, safety and best interests when engaging with GE’s work, acting as safeguarding focal points where required.
Are you ready to apply? Click here