The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively
contribute to the country’s economic, social and research- based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
– attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
– develop their leadership potential
– position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
70 fellowships are awarded annually ;
+ a total of up to 140 awards are active at any time.
Fellowships are distributed equally among:
– the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
– the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
– the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
– Health research
– Natural sciences and/or engineering
– Social sciences and/or humanities
BENEFITS AND DURATION
– $70,000 per year (taxable)
– 2 years (non-renewable)
Confirm that you and your proposed host institution meet the criteria below before you apply for a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Applications that do not meet all of the eligibility criteria will be deemed ineligible.
Citizenship and location of host institution
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
– Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
– Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD- equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
– Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD- equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian
institution or an institution outside of Canada.
Host institution eligibility
Institutions eligible to host a Banting Fellow include
– Canadian and foreign universities, affiliated research hospitals, colleges and not-for-profit organizations with a strong research mandate and capacity.
– Canadian governments (federal, provincial, municipal) and all for-profit organizations are not eligible to participate as host institutions.
– Questions regarding institutional eligibility should be directed to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat well in advance of the submission deadline.
September 19, 2018 (20:00EDT)
Before beginning an application, please read the Application guide carefully. The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships selection committee is a multidisciplinary committee, and applications should be written with a non- specialist research audience in mind.
Individual application documents can be submitted in either English or French. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete, including all host institution documents and referee assessments.
For more information, visit HERE