The Matsumae International Foundation is pleased to offer 20 research fellowship to international students of high academic ability. Fellowships are awarded to undertake research at selected host institutions in Japan
The Foundation aims to assist international students who require financial assistance with scholarship.
About the Foundation
The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a non-governmental organization. Many donations have been kindly offered by enterprises and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic to the founder’s ideals and maintain contributions to the fund from their limited incomes.
Fellowships are available to carry out research at selected host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry).
Fields of study such as natural science, engineering, and medicine are given first priority.
The following financial supports are provided to the successful applicants. No support to his/her family or dependents is available.
1. Allowance for research and stay: ¥220,000- per month is provided for the purpose of tuition payment, expenses for research materials, and miscellaneous living expenses.
2. Insurance : Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
3. Air transportation: A coach class round trip air tickets between an airport nearest to the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo via most direct and economical routing is provided. The tickets provided cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash provided by MIF be used for purchasing air tickets.
4. Start-up Fund upon arrival: ¥120,000- is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan
1. Non-Japanese citizens can apply for these MIF fellowships.
3. Applicants must obtain a Letter of Invitation from host institutions in Japan.
3. Applicants must hold a PH.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic
4. Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when documents are submitted.
5. Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
6. Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay. E.g. sightseeing, conferences)
7. Applicants should be in employment in their home countries, and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship tenure.
8. Applicants must be of sound health.
Language Requirements: A number of leading universities, especially private ones, offer a few courses in English but most are in Japanese and knowledge of the language is more of a requirement than an asset. Overseas students who want to study in English or Japanese must prove their language proficiency if the language is not their native tongue. Applicants may also be asked to submit scores from an English proficiency test such as TOEFL, or to travel to Japan to sit university entrance examinations.
August 31, 2018
Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. MIF accepts those submitted by post. Those applications submitted electronically or via facsimile will be unacceptable. Application must be received by MIF by 17:00 on August 31, 2018 (Japan Standard Time). Application will not be accepted in any reason after the deadline date.