The Institute for Advanced Study at Central European University in Budapest (IAS CEU) is pleased to invite applications for the Fritz Thyssen Junior fellowships for the academic year 2019/2020. Fellowships are available in all research areas of the social sciences and humanities.
About IAS CEU
IAS CEU is located in Budapest, the vibrant cultural and academic hub of Central and Eastern Europe, IAS CEU brings together scholars from all over the world who work in the fields of the social sciences, humanities and the law. High-level scholarly work is achieved through a combination of sustained individually undertaken research and ongoing collaborations and conversations with other scholars.
Humanities and Social Sciences
Junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of 2,000 Euros to help support their stay in Budapest. In addition, all fellows and their families receive housing at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse. Utilities at the Guesthouse will be charged to the fellows.
1. This fellowship is available for students of all nationalities.
2. Applicants must hold a PhD or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application.
3. Only those with publications in internationally recognized scholarly outlets are encouraged to apply.
4. Full-time CEU employees and students are not eligible to apply for 5 years after the ending of their studies/contract (degrees must be received and contracts must have ended by December 31, 2013, or earlier).
5. Part-time/temporary employees of CEU are not eligible for 1 year after their contract ended (their contract must have ended by December 31, 2017, or earlier).
6. Former fellows of IAS CEU are not eligible to apply until a period of 7 years has passed since their previous fellowship. Applications may be considered only in exceptional cases.
7. Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and CEU.
October 5, 2018
Application is online. The following outline the steps in the application process:
Step 1: Go to the Application Form for the Academic Year 2019/20 at the IAS CEU website, and fill in all your data as required.
Please note that you cannot save your work and continue filling in the form at a later time, so you are asked to submit your application when you have all ithe nformation and materials ready!I ncomplete forms or applications submitted in any other way than what is described in this Call will not be considered.
Step 2: Create a single pdf file no larger than 12 MBs containing all your application package and send it to the IAS_applications@ceu.edu e-mail address. The name of the pdf file and the subject of your e-mail should contain your name and the type of fellowship you are applying to. (Example: “Application John Smith – Core Junior Fellowship”)
Please note that incomplete applications, when either the webform is not filled in or the pdf application package is not sent, will not be considered. You will receive a confirmation of receipt of your application package shortly from IAS.
Your application package that you should send in pdf should contain the following documents:
1. A letter of intent (max 1,500 words)
2. The abstract of your research project (max. 150 words)
The description of your research project (min. 1,000 – max. 2,500 words)
3. A 10-15 page description of your research project, which includes a discussion on the state of your research (including references to publications if these exist already), the research outline, theories and methods (including short bibliography), time schedule and work plan
4. A CV including a list of up to 5 of your most important publications. Please also include the name and email address of two referees (for potential reference).