The Heinrich Böll Foundation is offering grants scholarships (the Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships) to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subject courses and nationalities. The scholarships is to enable international students study in any participating institutions in Germany, Switzerland, EU member states.
About the Foundation
The Heinrich Böll Foundation is a German, legally independent political foundation.
Affiliated with the German Green Party,it was founded in 1997 when three predecessors merged.
The foundation was named after German writer Heinrich Böll
The Foundation campaigns for gender democracy, social emancipation, and equality between women and men. It is also committed to equality and social participation for cultural and ethnic minorities.
Undergraduate, Postgraduate(Master’s and PhD)
Having in the past awarded scholarships mainly to students of the humanities, social sciences, art, and culture, the foundation is now, in addition, particularly interested in students of economics, law, engineering, science, mathematics, and journalism.
The Foundation awards complete scholarships to students which cover the entire duration of the progamme.
The following general requirements apply to international student applicants who wish to study in Germany:
1. You must be enrolled at a state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time the scholarship payments begin.
2. You should provide proof that you have already graduated with an initial professional qualification. This programme mainly supports students aiming for a Masters degree.
3. You need a good knowledge of German, and require you provide proof of your proficiency. Please note that the selection workshop (interviews, group discussions) will normally be in German. Exceptions (interview in English) are, however, possible.
4. Unfortunately, the current guidelines specify that the foundation cannot support foreign scholarship holders for stays abroad in third countries for more than four weeks.
5. You should definitely apply for a scholarship before the start of your studies, in order to ensure long-term support and cooperation.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation cannot award you a scholarship, if you are studying for a one-year Masters degree and were not previously supported by the foundation.
6. Applications are possible before you begin your study programme or within the first three semesters.
7. Applicants must provide proof that they have been accepted as a doctoral student by an institution of higher education in Germany or an EU country (for doctoral scholarship).
All state or state-recognized institutions of higher education (university, college or equivalent eg Universities of Applied Sciences, or Universities of the Arts) in Germany, Switzerland or member states of the EU.
The foundation holds the application process twice a year. Thus there are two application deadlines each year – early March and early September. The application portal opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline. The next deadlines are 1st September 2018 (Winter) and 1st March 2019 (Summer) respectively.
The foundation only accepts online applications. The application portal will be opened about 6 weeks before the application deadlines. The application process, including the application form, will be completed ONLINE; additional application documents will be submitted as PDF. You may visit the application portal (usually available from mid-January or mid-July on www.boell.de/studienwerk)