McGill University and The MasterCard Foundation are pleased to offer full scholarships to economically challenged, academically gifted Master’s students from Sub-Saharan Africa through The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
This scholarship program is designed to sponsor outstanding, community engaged students to attend university who otherwise would not have the opportunity, thereby, fostering the development of future Sub-Saharan African leaders and entrepreneurs.
About the University
McGill University (French: Université McGill) is a public research university in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It was established in 1821 and bears the name of James McGill, a Montreal merchant originally from Scotland whose bequest in 1813 formed the university’s precursor, McGill College.
About MasterCard Foundation
The Mastercard Foundation was created in 2006 by Mastercard International and operates independently under the governance of its own Board of Directors. Since its founding, the Foundation has grown from a small “start-up” with just three employees to one of the largest foundations in the world. With commitments of over US$2.1 billion, we have partnered with more than 130 visionary organizations to increase financial inclusion and access to youth learning in Africa. Together, we have improved the lives of more than 27 million people and their families
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program provides access to secondary and higher education for young people who are committed to giving back to their communities. It is designed to provide students with holistic support.
3. Urban Planning
4. Public Health
Check more eligible graduate programs here
In addition to financial support, Scholars are provided with a comprehensive support network that includes an array of mentoring and support services to ensure each student’s academic success, community service engagement and transition to socially relevant employment opportunities, when they return to Africa at the conclusion of their studies.
To be eligible for consideration for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Master’s Program at McGill, you must:
1. Be admissible to one of the eligible programs at McGill University;
2. Have never completed any graduate studies;
3. Be nominated by a professor of a recognized Mastercard Foundation Partner University, or;
4. Be nominated by a current McGill Professor or Staff Member;
5. Be a citizen of and have lived a significant part of your life in a
Sub-Saharan African Country;
6. Have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and/or community;
7. Have an intent to return to your country immediately upon the completion of your degree with the goal of transforming your community through social and economic development;
8. Demonstrate that your financial status is in the lowest two quintiles of your country.
February 4, 2019
This application is for MASTER’s (non-thesis) applicants only. You must be nominated by a professor of a recognized Mastercard Foundation Partner University, or be nominated by a current McGill Professor or Staff Member( Nomination form).
Application is online
For more information on the various eligible programs,admission requirements, click here
For more information on the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, visit here
You may want to share, you might be helping someone.